Philly Foos

• September 26, 2017, 03:11:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Philly Foos, your Philadelphia Foosball Connection!

Author Topic: WHAT IS A JAR???  (Read 3520 times)

idpashooter

• New Fooser
WHAT IS A JAR???
« on: January 06, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »

after reading the rulebook and playing in a recent tournament, i still dont know what makes a jar a jar.   not the obvious one but where the line is and how an official would determine one.  thanks for any info

Joe_P

• Phillyfoos Moderator
  • Super Fooser
WHAT IS A JAR???
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 10:23:06 PM »

most folks around here think jars are for pickles.

dovi or fish could probably elaborate better.

Joe_P

• Phillyfoos Moderator
  • Super Fooser
WHAT IS A JAR???
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 01:37:50 PM »

a good judge is to sit the ball still on the playing field and start hitting one of the rods against the wall.  go from light to hard.  once you hit the wall hard enough so that the ball moves/rolls a little, you have a jar.  it really is a call only a judge/ref can make, unless it's super obvious.

ronzilla

• Foosaholic
WHAT IS A JAR???
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 02:24:58 AM »

You're really more describing a reset there, Joe.

A Jar can be from the bumper hitting the wall or lifting or shaking the table as well, but it's more about in the process of a shot or pass, and the Jar CAUSES or CAN CAUSE the ball to be dropped during a pass, or in the case of a shot, not blocked, most commonly off a man and in the goal.

So yes, it's hard to describe, but if someone slams the wall, possibly trying to block or deflect a pass, and the force of the slam CAUSES the ball to not be caught, it is a JAR. It was BECAUSE OF THEIR ACTION that I dropped or didn't catch the ball, NOT THEIR SUCCESSFUL DEFENSE, it was a Jar.

It becomes much harder to call if during their defense they "get a piece" of the ball...but it CAN STILL BE A JAR!

Same with a shot- Say for example if someone shoots a pull, I block it, and as I try to contain the ball, the shooter slams the rod (possibly during recoiling) and I can't contain it BECAUSE OF THEIR ACTION and it goes either in the goal or back out of the goalie zone, it is a Jar.

ronzilla

• Foosaholic
WHAT IS A JAR???
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 02:27:37 AM »

It's really about the timing of the infraction....if I slam the wall trying to defend a pass and it's dropped, it's a Jar.  If I slam the wall just as hard while they're setting up the pass, but didn't pass yet and didn't lose possession...it's a reset.